Summer is around the corner and heatwaves will be here again soon. Pomona Choice Energy encourages customers to conserve energy during the upcoming summer months to keep the electricity grid stable and avoid rolling blackouts.
“Rising temperatures can put a strain on our energy infrastructure, so it is important for our community to cut down energy use when possible, especially during peak hours,” said Tim Sandoval, Pomona’s Mayor. “Together, we can fight the excessive heat and keep the lights on in our City by adopting a few easy-to-implement energy efficiency measures.”
During the summer months, customers should consider the following tips to limit energy use:
- Turn off and unplug all electronics and appliances that are not in use
- Shut off lights when leaving a room
- Set thermostats to 78 degrees when home and to 85 degrees or “off” when away
- Avoid using the oven. Instead, cook on the stove, use a microwave, or grill outside to keep your home cooler
- Close blinds to keep out heat from the sun
- Minimize dryer use when doing laundry. Instead, let your clothes air dry by hanging them outside.
- Limit the opening and reopening of refrigerators, which are major users of electricity in many homes
- When possible, businesses should shift power-intensive work to the morning or late evening hours
Customers should also opt-in to receive Flex Alerts, which are voluntary calls for energy conservation. The California Independent Systems Operator (CAISO), which manages the flow of electricity for 80 percent of California, issues flex alerts when energy demand exceeds energy supply. In these instances, CAISO may consider initiating a temporary, planned power outage to reduce the risk of a longer, widespread blackout. When a flex alert is in effect, it is especially important to implement these energy efficiency tips.
“Small changes in behavior can have a big impact,” continued Sandoval. “Adopting basic energy-saving best practices helps the environment, lowers electricity costs, and protects our power supply during heat waves.”
To sign up for Flex Alerts, visit FlexAlert.org.
For more energy-saving tips, visit pomonachoiceenergy.org/energy-savings/energy-efficiency-tips.